Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Spark Notes

So I was thinking the other day about websites that I already use that fuse English and New Media together, and Spark Notes came to mind. I used this site quite extensively with my Early American Literature course, because obviously some of the early American literature can be very hard to follow. I would always read the summary and analysis before I read the different reading assignments, not to get out of reading the material, but because it would give me more of an idea what to look for in the text and gave me better understanding of what I was reading. Another really cool page on that sight is No Fear Shakespeare. Personally I did not know that I liked Shakespeare before I found this page, because I could not follow the old writing in the plays. In No Fear Shakespeare, the original text is on the left column of the page, and in the right column is the translation into contemporary text. So, not only does it have the contemporary text for us average everyday readers to comprehend what is happening, but since the two texts are side by side anyone can compare the two and get a better understanding of how to read that old crusty text.  

No comments:

Post a Comment